I won’t lie to you, getting into these programs is not as easy as anyone will tell you.
so, follow me closely as I will debunk some of the steps you will need to get your work-study in Canada on the way.
Thus, it’s no news that Canada is one of the most attractive study destinations in the world.
According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), more than 500,000 international students enrolled at a Canadian university in 2020 alone.
And while the Maple Syrup Country is great for a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, you also know that it is a perfect choice for people who want to settle down and start their careers after graduation (or while studying).
But what are the steps to find a job as an international student in Canada? How difficult is it really and what should be considered?
First off, let’s discuss some of the Canadian work regulations for international students before listing the universities with great work-study programs in Canada.
6 Canadian universities with Great Work-Study Programs 2022 Regulations for International Students
Canada, like any other country, has special working rules for international students wishing to work during or after their studies. Let’s take a quick look at the most important:
Canada Work-study regulations for working on campus
- Working on campus is only possible after the start of your studies
- You can only work on campus if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on-campus or off-campus
- Good to know: If your study permit does not state that you can work on-campus or off-campus, you can apply for this change (free of charge).
You don’t need a work permit to work on campus as long as you meet these conditions:
- You are a full-time secondary student
- Also, You have a valid study permit
- You have a social security number (SIN)
- Learn more about campus work in Canada and who cannot work on campus.
Canada Work-study regulations for working Off-campus
- You can only work outside of campus after you have started your studies
- Without a work permit, you can only work off-campus if you and the employer ensure this before accepting the position. If you start work without meeting the requirements, you may be asked to leave the country!
- More so, You can only work off campus if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on campus or off-campus
You don’t need a work permit to work off-campus as long as you meet these conditions:
- You are a full-time student at a recognized educational institution (DLI); If your university is not a DLI, you cannot work.
- You are enrolled in a post-secondary university/specialist course or vocational training
- Your studies will last at least 6 months and you will acquire a degree, diploma, or certificate
- You have a valid study permit
- You have a social security number
- Also You are only allowed to work 20 hours per week during school or school time.
- You have more freedom during breaks – e.g. Winter or Summer Vacation – if you can work full time, work overtime, or have 2 part-time jobs.
Canada Work regulations for working after graduation
You may be able to work full-time in Canada after you graduate. Here are the two main scenarios in which this can be done:
- BEFORE your study permit expires, apply for a work permit or Postgraduate Work Permit (PTPD)
- You are enrolling in a new course at a DLI; If your university is not a recognized educational institution, you will not be able to work
Requirements for applying for a postgraduate work permit (PTPD):
- You must be a DLI graduate to apply for PGWP
- Completing a DLI qualifies you, but does not guarantee that you will receive the PGWP
- You must apply for the PGWP within 180 days (approx. 6 months) after completing your studies / receiving your grades or final grades
- The completed degree must last at least 8 months
- You cannot apply for a second PTPD if you have already received one after completing a preliminary course
- You must pay the registration fee of CAD 255
- It takes approximately 53 days to issue the PGWP. Depending on the length of your academic program, the PGWP can be valid from 9 months to 3 years.
Top 6 Canadian universities with Great Work-Study Programs 2022
- University of Toronto
- McGill University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Alberta
- McMaster University
- University of Waterloo
#1. University of Toronto
First on our list is the University of Toronto. In fact, over 3,500 students participate in the University of Toronto’s work-study program each year.
There are currently two approvals under this program; Autumn and summer. This program provides paid on-campus positions as well as the opportunity for each student to discover and develop their skills and also to discover how their university studies could translate into post-graduation and begin a job search in Canada.
#2. McGill University
Second, on our list is McGill University. One of the main reasons this university is on our list is because of the wonderful work-study program.
This program is very important for students who want to earn extra cash while developing their skills for their careers.
International students can also find other options, e.g. B. in engineering, office, research, campus library work, and also jobs at McGill Hospital and related organizations.
To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be receiving the maximum government support that you are entitled to
- Must be a full time student
- Must have a satisfactory academic degree
- Financial need must be proven.
#3. University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia is another great university with a great dual study program for students looking to gain valuable work experience that will prepare them for their future.
There are many job opportunities, ranging from administrative to professional activities. The most important requirement for this program is that you are already enrolled full-time at UBC and that you are only allowed to hold one position as part of the dual study program.
After all, you must be living in Canada for the duration of your program.
#4. University of Alberta
One good aspect of the University of Alberta is its incredible reputation for helping international and local students find employment in Canada after graduation.
You will not find this help in other countries. There are over two hundred programs to choose from at this university, and as an undergraduate student interested in improving your future, there are many options you can consider such as Internships in reputable companies, etc.
#5. McMaster University
McMaster University is a very popular university with many international students. This university supports work-study programs that enable students to work up to ten hours per week in autumn/winter and up to thirty-five hours in summer.
This program is not available to freshmen or international graduate students. In order to be able to take part in this dual course of study as an international student, you do not need to present a work permit with the application.
#6. University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo also offers students the opportunity to work and study part-time on campus. The dual study program should fund 75 percent of student salaries, up to a maximum of $ 2,000 per semester.
This program is only available to students who:
- Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or Protected Individuals
- Are currently enrolled in a study load of at least 60% in the current study period
- Must be entitled to the state study assistance program while studying
Now you know the top universities that offer work-study programs in Canada, it’s time to decide where in Canada you want to work.
Deciding where in Canada you want to work
After you’ve familiarized yourself with the work regulations in Canada and made sure you meet all of the criteria, it’s time to decide where / for whom to work. For example, if you want a job on campus while studying, the options are more limited:
- work in a library
- work in a hospital
- Also, work in a research center
- work as a teaching assistant
You may also be able to work off-campus as long as the institution or employer is a partner of the university you are studying at.
The Canadian government is one of the best student employers, offering attractive employment opportunities for local and international students:
- The Federal Student Work Experience Program: Explore hundreds of career paths and jobs offered by the Government of Canada
- The Research Affiliate Program: Work part-time as a research fellow for the government and do meaningful work related to your study program
Note that these programs are primarily aimed at Canadian students who meet the employment criteria. That means you can still be selected, but local students have an advantage.
Visit job websites and apply
There is not much to say about this phase. It can be tedious, time-consuming, boring, or sometimes even frustrating, but there is a need to flip through the job postings. Fortunately, most of them are available online.
Ads may be available in college halls or in specially designated areas for jobs on campus. However, we will focus on the resources available online. Here are some examples:
- Jobbank: Job vacancies from employers across Canada
- Young people job board: Find thousands of vacation jobs
- Talent Egg: Jobs for students or young graduates
- Charity Village: Find jobs or volunteer work
- Good job: Find “green” jobs that are geared towards sustainability and positive environmental change
- And the list goes on and on, but these sites should be enough to get you started.
How to increase your chances of landing a job in Canada
- Get involved in student associations and organisations
- Participate in volunteering programs and activities
- Join internships, seminars, competitions or workshops related to your interests
- Start networking: meet like-minded people and get to know each other
- Stay open-minded: seemingly unrelated job roles can be perfect for you as long as they overlap with the things you want to learn or problems you want to solve
Frequently Asked Questions About Work-study programs in Canada
What is a work study program in Canada?
This is a type of study program in which the student is allowed to work while they are studying. This type of program is common among international students.
Twice a year (autumn-winter and summer), the dual study program offers paid positions on campus, in which you can deepen your knowledge, strengthen your skills and explore the chances of your studies for career opportunities.
How can I work and study for free in Canada?
Aside from applying to a university with low tuition fees and getting a part-time job one you can study for free in Canada. Another way to reduce your expenses is through a scholarship. There are different organizations and institutes that offer different types of scholarships to international students.
Which course is best for work in Canada?
Top Courses to Study in Canada for International Students to Get…
- Computer Science & IT.
- Business & Finance.
- Core Engineering & Engineering Management.
- Physical & Earth Sciences and Renewable Energy.
- Agricultural Science & Forestry.
- Biosciences, Medicine & Healthcare.
- Media & Journalism.
Do you get paid for work study programs?
yes! Bachelor students are paid by the hour and must be paid at least once a month. You can choose to have your paycheck mailed directly to you or have your payment deducted from your college bill. The federal dual study program is a form of financial aid, but it can be much more than that.
6 Canadian universities with Great Work-Study Programs 2022Conclusion
In this article, we told you about 6 universities with Work-study programs in Canada. Which will you rather go for?
On the other hand, you can weigh their potential against your interests in order to achieve the ideal career for you. So you can take the next step and continue studying in Canada.
If you’ve already made up your mind, all you have to do is look around for a university to study at. Now is the best time to start your search! So, with enough time, you can complete the necessary procedures.